Hawaii, New York, and the 5-days Between

YamHawaii, as I wrote last month, was a wonderful vacation.  I, once again, got to celebrate my wedding anniversary in a beautiful location.  Six wonderful years…well almost wonderful years.  Getting the cancer really makes all parts of life NOT wonderful.

All around Hawaii, The Big Island, was lovely.  It being my 3rd trip there I feel like I finally had things dialed. Volcano Lodge, a bed and breakfast in the town of Volcano is rustic and divine; a perfect paring.  When your ready to go out for dinner while staying at Volcano Lodge head to The Rim at Volcano House in the National Park.  It’s a lovely view and tasty food.  Not at all your typical park food.

New York was, shockingly, amazing.  I loved it.  Loved it. Loved it. Loved it.  It’s huge and wonderful.  My base was Midtown Manhattan.  I went to a lovely fundraiser, parks, museums, restaurants, tourist attractions, and some.  Hands down the most memorable thing I did was attend Sleep No More.  It was an unusual silent performance made up of acting and dance; I couldn’t help but wonder am I cool enough to be here?  I was certainly a hipster for the night.

The 5-days between the two trips was hectic.  Packing and unpacking.  Laundry up to my eyeballs.  And who knows how many medical appointments took place during the 3-business-days.  The most significant part of this time was getting my chest and brain looked at (CT and MRI respectively).  Not able to squeeze in a face-to-face with my oncologist, I opted to get the results a week later.

I bet a majority of you reading think it’s crazy to wait a week for cancer test results.  I went back and forth on it many times before making my mind up.  The reason I chose to delay is: 1- I’m sick of cancer dictating my every move; 2- I was not going to be able to do a thing about it until I got back home.  So, I waited.

Waiting, for the first time, was a very good thing.  I guess that is because I was not really waiting.  Sure, technically I was waiting for news, but I went on with my life.  Life, actual living, took place in the time between a scan and getting results.  Nice!  I don’t see myself making a habit out of this waiting though.  It worked once but timing is so important.

And, for those curious minds the cancer is stable.  8-more-weeks, here I come!

AND, Matisse you rock for cat sitting all those days we were away!

About kimmywink

I'm Kim. I've got advanced lung cancer. It sucks.
This entry was posted in Test Results and tagged , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

13 Responses to Hawaii, New York, and the 5-days Between

  1. Bev lipsitz says:

    I thought we were in a big squeeze with almost three weeks between trips… You got that beat! And i think waiting for your test results was a great idea…we gotta be able to forget about the cancer and live our lives while we can. Fabulous news about stable disease!

  2. gwendolyn says:

    yay for stable and for having good times!

  3. Kelly says:

    I’m glad to hear your good news! I KNEW that you’d love New York! You’re such a cool cat – how could you not love being there?!?!

  4. Jessica Rice says:

    Reading this post made me grin ear-to-ear. You’re doing it all right, my love!

  5. Jennifer Lembach says:

    STABLE!!! What an awesome word!!! woo hoo!!!!

    I love the pic of Yammers in the bag!

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s