Bald Sleeping Beauty

No posts the last few days.  Why?  I’m sleeping!  It feels good although I admit, I wish I was spending a majority of my time doing cooler stuff.

A combination of things are going on with my body these days.  I continue to heal from the WBR, while reacclimating to the twice daily Crizotinib (again).

My ears are feeling almost 100%.  I’ll be up to wearing jumbo sized earrings soon!  (My motto: Shorter the hair; the bigger the earrings.)  My head is still shedding.  The Meaderm continues to work like a charm, when I’m awake to apply it.

The body is certainly reacting to the Crizotinib, much like last time when I started in October 2011.  I’m extremely drained and moderately nauseous.  I’m taking Zofran or Compazine to combat the nausea and it seems to help.  I’m patiently waiting for my body to adjust and these side effects to subside, again like last time.  I’m not looking forward to the constant GI issues returning, which I imagine will do once I eliminate the constipating drugs, like Zofran.

bouldering Kimmy

Things are looking on the up and up.  I’m looking forward to distancing myself from my cancer diagnosis until my next chest/liver CT in 8 weeks and that brain MRI in 9 weeks.

I’ve made some committing purchases the last few days – two amazing outdoor chairs for me and SW to enjoy the backyard and a replacement camping tent.  I’ve got things to do this summer that hopefully include backyard birdwatching and bouldering out-of-town with my dear friends.

15 Responses to Bald Sleeping Beauty

Beautiful warrior, I’m so glad that you’re able to sleep! I’m hoping that you get to sleep through much of the reacclimation to the Criz. And, of course, I cannot WAIT to boulder with you!! Much love.

Sleeping right now is good. Sort of like snoozing through a bad movie. …well, sort of. 🙂

I tried to do a pull up today. Then I decided I should try to do sit-ups first. Both about killed me.

And short hair + big earrings = completely fabulous

3. Jennifer Lembach says:

This dear friend is anxious to aid and abet your bouldering and camping adventures!

4. I am still so very tired from cyber knife 8 weeks ago. Kenny says its the weather but I think they fried my brain. I hope you feel better every day and have a nicer spring than we are having here in Milwaukee. (There is still plenty of snow on the ground) xox

5. bitty says:

I’m sorry your body did not recognize its old pal, Crizotinib, and you have to get used to it all over again. My hair started to jump ship the end of last week, but I suppose it is considerably easier to apply the Miaderm now. Sitting in new chairs in the backyard sounds nice – we’ve got several inches of compacted snow to melt before I can think about hauling out mine. Rest up for all your exciting upcoming plans!

Snow too? Portland is really such a mild climate. 8 months of rain; 2 months of rain and something else; and 2 months of sun, pretty much sums it up.

The super tender head and ears passed in a few days – remember that! By super tender I mean EXTREMELY tender.

Wishing you the best Bitty! xo

6. Kelly from NC says:

Hi Kim, Rachel shared your blog with me this week and I decided to read all your archives (over the last 3 days)….my Dad has small cell lung cancer. I have taken a lot away from everything you have said in your blog about lung cancer and your life – I enjoy your insight and perspective…thank you. I am also enjoying various tips – I think I will cook something from smitten kitchen, make a terrarium, and pick up some hue lights. I think you are very cool!

Hello Kelly,
      Sorry to hear about your dad’s diagnosis. Cancer sucks! I wish you, your family, and friends the ability to move through this together. People can make all the difference.
      Glad the blog has been useful to you. I hope it continues to be so. I heart smitten kitchen!
      ~Kim