Good Problems

The trip to Seattle Cancer Care Alliance went well.  So well, that I’m feeling a tad overwhelmed by all the options presented to me.  Yes, the plural form of OPTION; consisting of, containing, or pertaining to more than one.  What a good problem to have.

I have a call out to Dr S to get his take on my situation.  I called because I got antsy on the drive back to Portland (3 hours of thinking).  I’m 100% certain he and Dr Martins have already exchanged emails regarding me.

I feel like a little bit of a princess right now.  Unsure what to do because I have too many choices.  What a luxury!

Some of the options for those of you in the Lung Caner Know:

• LDK378 phase 1 trial
  • LDK378 phase 2 trial (opening soon)
  • Crizotinib (my growth is not that much)
  • Anti-PD-1 trial (randomized, poo!)
  • forthcoming immunotherapy trial (likely not randomized, yay!)
  • traditional chemotherapy

This entry was posted in Treatment Plans and tagged , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

19 Responses to Good Problems

1. Marcy says:

I like this problem!!!!! Let’s do all of the above in the best sequence and have you around for the cure or chronic word. I’d accept either! Much, much love, marcy

thank G-O-D for options! I do have a question as it relates to this too. Is it possible to start chemo and then to switch to something else like a trial if you’ve only had one dose of a particular chemo combo and if it’s determined AFTER you’ve had that one dose that you actually qualify for a trial. asking on behalf of my mom. sorry for asking something about myself but thought you’d have some CONSTRUCTIVE advice.

Don’t be sorry for asking questions. I’m not sure I have an answer though. I would consult your mom’s oncologist and/or the trial coordinator about the specific trial criteria in question.

With my limited knowledge it seems much easier to go from Trial to FDA Approved Treatment instead of the other way around. Trials have set criteria for a patient to qualify; the further down the Phase’s the more strict the criteria.

One criteria for the LDK trial I’m interested in is a “2-week no chemo/targeted therapy” washout period. Since I’m not in WBR I could be taking my crizotinib. I’m not taking anything because then I’d have to wait those two weeks all over again. Make sense?

I hope that helps instead of making things more murky. I’m happy to converse over email if you prefer. Simply add a comment that says, “email me now!” 🙂

• gwendolyn says:

thanks! what you wrote does help. i’ll have to think it through a bit more too and as you said see what her doctors say. and again HAPPY for your good news! hugs, g have a nice weekend

potential chemo combo dose would include taxotere and something else to be determined.

4. Jennifer Lembach says:

Yay!!! Great news! Options are wonderful!

5. bitty says:

I like your new title: Princess of Options. 🙂 Best wishes, of course, with whichever route you pursue!

I am curious about something… My oncologist has kept me on Crizotinib during WBR, but I haven’t had progression outside of the brain (that we are aware of). Maybe because we’re not sure of the next step after WBR? I will ask this and many more questions at my appointment on Monday!

6. Great news, and for St. Pattys, “May you always walk in sunshine” xox

7. Kelly says:

I’m SOOO-OO happy to hear that you have options! Can’t wait to hear what the rockstar oncologist recommends for you. You’re doing a great thing by sharing your journey with others. I can say that I’m a lot smarter for it! Love you!

8. Patrick says:

Good problems are the best of possible problems!

9. Diane Fink says:

this is all another language to me…so it sounds good you have options…I am sure with Doctors and friends advice you will figure it out. Stay focused….and HAPPY ! Love ya!

It was a pretty inside-baseball kind of a post. I’ve got quite a team of experts providing excellent recommendations. For that, I am fortunate.
      Ray and Tina come tomorrow! 🙂