Celebrating 5

The trip to The Big Island was planned to celebrate my 5-year wedding anniversary to SW.  I nervously booked tickets months in advance.  I suppressed thoughts of “will I be well enough to travel” and clicked purchase.

So here I am, vacationing with my wonderful husband and with my cancer too.  It really is possible!  I’ve heard of others doing it and it always sounded like they did it with much ease.  Well, I did not.  I was quite nervous, worried, and even a little reluctant to hop on the plane.  All of these feelings were new since the invader was identified.

Celebrating the big 5-year day was as typical as any other middle class American vacationing in Hawaii.  We dove to see beautiful rare Hawaiian corral, snorkeled with dolphins, and dined at a beautiful ocean front restaurant while watching manta rays feast on plankton.  Sure, if I was cancer free we may have been celebrating with camping/climbing in Zion (in Utah) or my favorite HorsePens 40 (in Alabama) but Hawaii ain’t half bad.

19 Responses to Celebrating 5

1. Avery says:

Sounds like a great way to celebrate – congrats on 5 years, being a wonderful person, living and being such an inspiration!

2. linnea11 says:

Happy five in Hawaii and I love the photo!

Linnea

3. Sharon Wierwille says:

Congratulations! I am so happy for you to get a much-needed trip to Hawaii. Isn’t it wonderful to be able to go snorkeling and enjoy wonderful moments in life? Keep it up – you are doing great. Sharon

4. Patrick says:

Congratulations! Happy 5th Anniversary though I did have to smile at the contrast between Hawaii and HorsePens 40. 🙂

Thank you! Most people look at me like I’m nuts when I tell them one of my favorite destinations is Steele, Alabama.
      Thanks for reading and adding a link to this site on your blog.

5. Valerie Joachim says:

Sounds like a great trip! Happy anniversary! I own that same guide book, in fact. Hey, where was the restaraunt with the manta rays feasting nearby? We’re going to the Big Island over Thanksgiving, and wanted to check it out.

6. Jamie says:

Hi Kim- So happy to see your photo from HI! Congratulations to you both on your milestone anniversary. Hope all is good!

7. Jennifer Lembach says:

Happy Anniversary to my two favorite Ws!!!!!!

Happy Anniversary! Glad your loving Hawaii. Does SW know how lucky he is???

Hello Melanie,
      Hawaii was fantastic! I’m home now and it feels pretty great too. I love my bed. I also really love my shower. Isn’t it funny the things we miss when we are away from home.

SW tells me often how lucky he is. I’m glad he does because I can’t help but feel like I’m not holding up my end of the bargain because I have this cancer yuck. Thanks for reiterating it. 🙂

9. Kelly Roche' says: