“Not a whole hell of a lot!”

Last Friday was my 12-week scan day, not by choice.  I had my scan on Friday and results appointment with Dr. S on Monday.  Waiting a weekend for results can be hell.

Getting CT scans are no big deal for me.  Neither is getting the blood draw or EKG that are standard procedures before my regularly scheduled 4-week follow-up appointment with Dr. S.  Knowing it was going to be an “easy day at OHSU” I invited my mother to join me.

As expected the CT scan was uneventful – a good thing.  My blood was drawn using the same IV needle and all was good.  The only thing left to do was the EKG.  Oh, and wait until Monday for the results.

The EKG was also uneventful.  The only thing semi-cool about it is the print out, showing your heart beat, that you get to keep.  I handed it off to my mother when all was done.  Unlike me, she read the printed text at the top.  She asked, “Why does it say abnormal?”  Shit.  Immediately my mind was taken off next Monday.

As it turned out I was not “abnormal” but an automated machine sure would say that I am.  Considering the meds I’m on, my heart numbers are spot on.   My nurse Karen did an excellent job responding to my concerns.  She went above and beyond when she phoned a second time after 5:00 to say she was leaving for the weekend and wanted to make sure I did not have any additional questions that could not wait until my scheduled Monday appointment for answering.  Yup, she is amazing!

As the stress of the EKG wore off it was replaced with the stress of waiting for my CT results.

Monday I got my CT scan results.  They are quite good – no growth.  I asked Dr. S, “So, how much cancer do I have?”  His response was priceless, “Not a whole hell of a lot!”

The crizotinib is doing its thing!

Cheers to Crizotinib!

My next scan is either going to be in 8-weeks or 12.  It’s my choice.  I’m choosing to not choose yet.

This entry was posted in Test Results and tagged , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

15 Responses to “Not a whole hell of a lot!”

1. linnea11 says:

Yay! Great news. And I see you are celebrating in appropriate fashion.

Linnea

2. Jules says:

Wahoo! That’s great news! So glad to hear it!!

3. Diane Fink says:

Kim, Kim, Kim,…..you make me laugh! I am so grateful for the results of the scan, and Bless nurse Karen for the understanding and care she gave you !
    Sending our very best from CHARLOTTE, NC – LOVE Diane

Karen is a blessing! I’m so glad my health is in her hands. Truthfully, almost every single nurse I’ve encountered has been amazing. What they have done for me and others…pretty icky stuff but they take it on without giving it a second thought. Amazing individuals they are!

Cheers to Nurse Karen for being a wonderful professional and cheers to Crizotinib! This is GREAT news!! xoxo

Indeed it is! I’d still be excited for “even greater news”- which I’ve defined as: the docs admitting they have been reading the wrong Kim Wieneke’s scans and I don’t have lung cancer.

great news, continued prayers, stay strong

6. Valerie Joachim says:

Woot! Glad to also note that the transition to a new care team looks to be a total success. Nurse Karen and the rest of the staff seem to be awesome. Yeah to Crizotinib!

It was a very scary transition forced upon me when I stopped working at the COP. I’m glad it all worked out- I’m not going to say for the better though. My care at both Kaiser Interstate and OHSU have been excellent. They do offer slightly different kinds of care but neither one leaves me wanting more.

7. Jennifer Lembach says:

Awesome, fabulous, wonderful news!!!! WOO HOO!!!!!!!!

8. Jessica says:

I’m delighted that Xalkori (and wine) is working for you!