Memorial Day 2012

Over Memorial Day weekend SW and I went camping, the first trip since D Day (Diagnosis Day).   An unheard of amount of work went into preparing our gear that had been put aside for over a year.  It was well worth it!

We ended up camping at this so-so RV park called Peach Beach.  It was reasonable enough to call home for 2 nights.  In the future I would not plan a trip around staying at this location.  What brought us to this spot was the nearby bouldering at Horsethief Butte.  I’m also uncertain if I’d plan a trip to this bouldering destination in the future.  The area is appealing since it is less than 2 hours from Portland, but the climbing was not as amazing as you wanted it to be.

Nonetheless, I went camping for two days of bouldering, outside, with my friends Alison, Mindy, Mark and Tracy.  Here are some pics of the weekend.

Alison and me

Mindy Climbing

Circle around the Sun

Alison climbing

Me and my Chemo-Perm

I am beyond thankful that I’m still alive but at times life is frustrating since I’ve had to alter it so much.  I felt a surge of energy from the entire trip as I was able to participate in activities that I did pre-unwanted-visitor.  Make no mistake I certainly had to make some changes to my old routine- I carry a light pack, bring no crash pad, hike at a snails pace, and monitor my heart rate & breathing during the climbing process.  I also require lots of pills and TP as I never know when vomiting or diarrhea will strike.

This entry was posted in Uncategorized and tagged , , . Bookmark the permalink.

8 Responses to Memorial Day 2012

This was a fantastic couple of days (despite the wind!). The uninvited guest to the party sucks, but I’m so grateful to spend time with Kim while she participates (PARTICIPATES!) in some of our group’s favorite activities: climbing, camping, cracking jokes, and flipping sh*t. Thanks for a great weekend, friends. Much love. xoxo

2. kimmywink says:

Looking forward to more great trips! …Squamish, BC anyone?

3. Tammy says:

It is great seeing you enjoying the great outdoors again!

Most everyone I know with cancer, or other major life interruptions, are forced to make adjustments to what we call the “new normal”. It’s pleasing when the new has some overlap with the old.

4. Patty Nelson says:

You look amazing Kim. So happy you and SW and friends went camping and climbing. Also excited about your new back yard plans. Keep up the great work fighting your cancer. You are an inspiration to me. Miss you at work but happy you are feeling better and able to focus your energy on getting stronger.

5. Jennifer Lembach says:

So bummed that we missed this trip. I so wish we could have been with you on your first post DD climbing trip! I would really like to make Squamish happen. You have to help me motivate Soulakis!

6. Susan Aldrich says:

I saw that ring around the sun. We were up the gorge. Who knew we were sharing something! I owe you some pictures, but we have been without home computer for about a month. Should be back up this weekend. Susan