Ahhh…Much better

Thank you Last Week for finally coming to an end! The final day did end on an upward note.

My difficulties with OHSU and my written testimony got completely straightened out. Apparently it was a big-fat-misunderstanding a new employee had between editing employee documents and patient documents. OK. Like my lovely Blue Q socks say, “screwing up is part of the program.” It does happen; even to the best of us.

photo-91

The stress caused by when am I going to move to the trial? is finally over. I’m going to OHSU tomorrow to get my I’s dotted and my T’s crossed to get things going on the trial. My anticipated start date is Tuesday, February 25th. The official trial title is: A Phase 1/2 Study of the ALK Inhibitor CH5424802/RO5424802 in Patients with ALK-Rearranged Non-Small Cell Lung Cancer Previously Treated with Crizotinib. I’m happy to get on a treatment that might actually stop my pesky growing brain spots. (Criz, don’t get me wrong, you were great for those 29-months!)

Now, it is time to eat enormous amounts of grapefruit during this drug-hiatus!

10 Responses to Ahhh…Much better

1. grayconnections says:

Yay for starting a new trial! Hope it works wonders for you. Crossing my fingers and toes (and with neuropathy, that ain’t easy).

2. Liz says:

I totally said Thank You to the Criz today… only four more days of it… after four years I am sad to say goodbye. It got me a lot of time that felt “normal”.

thanks for the update and best of luck being on this new trial!

4. Tammy says:

Yea for new trials and drugs for the noggin! That is a pretty descriptive title. A bit long for the business card – can’t wait for the acronym.
    Tell me when you need help with those grapefruits. We can do greyhounds.

5. Raphaël says:

Hello Kim,
    I am French, I’m 39 years old, I fight against lung cancer alk since December 2011.
    I saw that you were going to begin clinical study of RO5424802 Roche and I wanted to reassure you on effectiveness of this traitement.
    In just seven weeks my brain tumor decreased from 17mm to 5mm and my lung metastasis have all decreased by more than 70%.
    On the other hand, I am absolutely not sick with this Phase 2 clinical trial.
    See you soon and good luck.
    Raphael
    Sorry if my English is not as good as i would…
    You can find a link about the forum i have created so French people can talk about alk lung cancer

Wonderful to hear Raphael! Thank you for taking the time to share this info with me. I’ve not talked to anyone else on this drug yet. I will certainly be checking in on your link.

And your english is just fine. :)

6. Kim Ringen says:

Hi Kim,
    I’m happy that I found your blog and that you will be starting the Roche ALK inhibitor. (fingers crossed). I am also a Kim, 36, ALK positive. When I was 16 weeks pregnant I was told that all my clinical signs were initially pregnancy related. Unfortunately, that was not the case – it was NSCLC Stage IV with metastasis to right femur and I was not able to continue with the pregnancy. I’ve been on Crizotinib for 8 months (I was diagnosed in June 2013) , but have had 2 bouts of progression and now I’m receiving carboplatin and Alimta while still taking crizotinib. I was a very athletic person with a great career as a veterinarian oncologist prior to my diagnosis and would love to get back to my “old life” at some point. Just wanted to reach out to you as I am at a point that I would really enjoy chatting with someone who is going through a similar situation and who is similar in age. My email is below. I hope today is a good day for you!!!

Hi Kim! I’ll be emailing you soon. As you can tell from the infrequent posts I’ve been pulled in other directions. But you will hear from me in the next day or so.
      Take good care!