She’s Crafty…

I’ve always been a kid who loves to do crafts.  I liked putting things together to make a pretty fountain for my backyard.  I got hooked on making acorns out of felted wool a few months ago.  Now, I’m mildly obsessed with making stained glass pieces.

It started by signing up for a class at the local Portland Community College.  This sounds like a insignificant thing but that is NOT the case.  Deciding to learn a new skill was oddly very hard for me to do.  Thoughts like but you might die before your able to do this crept into my brain and why learn something if your going to die soon?  I found it best to not even try to answer those questions but to give them the boot out of my brain.

glass fourSo, I eventually committed.  I signed up for a class.  The class was relatively easy, taking place between 10-12:30 once a week for 4-weeks.  So easy I signed up for another.  Now I’m still going once a week at the same time slot, but for students who are only slightly more advanced than someone who has never cut a piece of glass before.  I love the studio I go to, Roses…oddly it feels like I’m in a new family.   The owners Pam and Mitch have certainly created that environment intentionally.

Like the sign posted in the Roses Studiostained glass is a socially acceptable addiction“, I accept that I too may be addicted.  I nearly have a full set-up to do projects at home in my basement.  I am still very much a beginner having made only 4 total projects to date.  I am so pleased I stepped out of my comfort zone and signed up for the class.  Living is important.

This entry was posted in Uncategorized and tagged . Bookmark the permalink.

17 Responses to She’s Crafty…

1. Yes, you *are* crafty. xoxo
    Marcy Westerling

2. linnea11 says:

Good for you Kimmy and the window is beautiful!

Linnea

Thank you Linnea. I’m not so great at photographing the glass to do it justice. Maybe when the weather is better I will hang them outside for a photo shoot.
      I hope you stay nice and bundled for the forthcoming storms coming your way!

Really beautiful! and i almost (and I say almost) can spot your beautiful nail polish color too but the light is a little dim on the nails side). have fun making art and doing so with passion!

4. Jennifer Lembach says:

Very nice!!! Can’t wait to see all your works of art!

5. I was just talking about doing this!! I want to do this with you!!!!

6. Paula B says:

Kim, it doesn’t look like beginner work. It’s quite beautiful! You are absolutely right! Living is important. Love, Paula

Thanks Paula. I’m honestly not sure if this was a super-beginner piece. It was a pain in my backside getting it all to fit nice and snug! It took hours more than the other piece this same size. …I’m learning!

7. tammycarmona says:

It’s beautiful! I’m down for a few weeks for surgery. I taught myself how to crochet by watching youtube. I thought I’m such a dork! I just love it. It’s my new thing. Living is important!

8. Jules says:

Always one of my favorite things about you, so creative. That is fantastic, it turned out great!

9. Jessica Rice says:

This is awesome! I wish we lived closer so we could do it together. I’d love to see an acorn too. Needle felting amazes me.