Twenty Fourteen

Last month I learned a lot from my pals!

I’m so glad many of them spent their time writing for Aquarius vs Cancer.  Again, thank you friends for participating!  Based on the feedback I received, readers found it as useful as I did.  I admit I had some “so that’s why you did that?” and “wow, you really think I’m that neat-o?” moments.  Oodles of tears were generated while posting and reading them.

photo-88Two big take-aways for me…

1. An explanation of why some individuals get scarce after the cancer diagnosis.  Often times I hear patients and caretakers say, “Some people stop coming around/calling/writing because they don’t handle the situation very well.”  Sure, that could be true for some but it could also be incorrect.  I learned that some people simply did not want to be in the way.  I guess that makes sense!

2. People don’t try to avoid talking about cancer to me.  Many people figure if I want to talk about it I will bring it up.  They are not unwilling to talk about it, they just don’t want to bring up a sore subject.  It’s similar to knowing someone hates their job or is going through a break-up…you don’t constantly ask about it, right?

These may be no-brainers for a clear mind, but for me, they were ah-ha moments.  I’m excited to have more of them in 2014!

This entry was posted in Uncategorized and tagged , , . Bookmark the permalink.

11 Responses to Twenty Fourteen

1. Pam Witt says:

Many special blessings to you in this new year!!!….. All the way from PA!!!

Pam and Zach

2. Deborah Smith (Grubb) says:

Kim, your sharing has taught me a great deal and it’s given me some peace in seeing that you are surrounded by so many that care about you and for you. I’ve been trying to quietly keep my mouth shut and just cheer for your accomplishments. You’ve done so much and clearly touched a lot of people. And sadly I needed to turn to your posts this past month to get an even better understanding as I start my own journey down the C path. Your frankness and courage are a real eye opener on how things can be done with grace. My greatest hope is that you continue to find solutions that work, and that it keeps going for quite awhile. You are an inspiration as your close friends have voiced so well. Thank you for continuing to shine.

Debbie, I am sad to hear you too are in this cancer world. If you wish to connect by email let me know.

Also, people say I have grace…I don’t necessarily see it. I feel more like a hodgepodge of peace, sadness, happiness, rage, frustration, etc… Plan on feeling all of them and some!

• Deborah Smith (Grubb) says:

Learning from your good example, yes, an email would be great. I understand the hodgepodge. :D

3. Mark says:

You don’t know me, but I do feel as though I know you. I read your entire blog today from May 2011 to January 2014. I wanted to take a moment and thank you for it. I won’t say I enjoyed it, many parts of it were hard to read. I did find it very useful and informative. Thank you for sharing all of your highs and lows.

My friend was diagnosed with stage IV lung cancer in October, she is ALK+ and started on Crizotinib in November.

Mark

Mark,
      I’m guessing it’s the sad stuff that was not so enjoyable to read. Life does have a way of being that way…
      I am sorry to hear you have a friend in a very similar situation as mine. Please share with her my blog (and other blogs on the links page). Hopefully she can find some cancer pals and not feel so isolated and alone. I wish her the best experience possible on crizotinib. Continue to be a good friend for her; she probably will need it.

Kim